Thursday, August 25, 2011

The fox

Its a beautiful morning...colder by ten degrees than yesterday morning with a wind out of the west that portends another thunderstorm later this afternoon. Thats good, I like the idea that the new plantings here are getting enough water for a strong start and the meadow is so green that I think much of the seeds planted to offset the construction will take root. Already on the straw blankets laid out there are wildflowers and grass poking up through the straw. I think later I shall take pictures of them to contrast with next spring and the spring after that.

The big excitement was last night around 9.30 or 10.00. I was sitting at the dining room table, looking out towards the Peak. It was pitch black outside but a movement caught my eye and there was a fox, its face right up to the glass. I grabbed my camera, trying not to spook him as he continued to explore around the terrace. All the glass is up now, but there is no gate so its easy access in and out. Taking a chance, I readied the camera and flipped on the outside light. It didn't seem to spook him and I snapped two shots before he sauntered off and away. They aren't the best, being through glass but still a pretty good shot all in all. I have attached them. Doesn't he have a pretty tail?

I am dreading the return to the heat and humidity. Its fun seeing it begin to cool down here. By the time I return in two weeks time or so, it will be fall and I suspect the aspen leaves will be turning. I will certainly take some pictures of that and post them.



No comments:

Post a Comment